|The Arnold House is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with the Reverend Oliver Arnold’s family and for its architecture.
The Arnold House is recognized for its association with the family of Reverend Oliver Arnold. The Reverend Oliver Arnold, a Loyalist, was the first priest in the Parish of Sussex which, in 1794, had been designated as one of the missions for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. In addition to his parish work, he was also a missionary to the Indians and taught at the Indian School in Sussex Vale as well as being involved in the apprenticeship program that had as its stated intent, the training of the local Malecite in agriculture. Built circa 1860, this residence was designed for the descendents of Reverend Arnold, including his son, Horatio Nelson Arnold, who became successor of his work in 1829.
The Arnold House is also recognized for being a good example of Gothic Revival residential architecture. The steeply-pitched front gable is characteristic of Gothic Revival, which was given impetus in New Brunswick through the efforts of Bishop John Medley who had been sent to New Brunswick by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. Bishop Medley designed many churches and Christ Church Cathedral in a Gothic Revival style, which in turn had an effect on residential design. The house was modified in the 1950’s when the entrance was relocated from the side of the residence to the front.
Source: Town of Sussex, Historic Places file #S-7-08