|The Intercolonial Railway Station is designated a Local Historic Place for its determinant role in the early development of the community of Sussex, and for the importance of railway transportation in the history of the community, the province and indeed of the Dominion of Canada. The station is also a lasting example of early 20th-century railway architecture.
The location of the Intercolonial Railway Station in Sussex ensured that the community of Sussex would grow and thrive during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The initial proposal for the location of the railway was closer to Sussex Vale (now Sussex Corner); however, a local landowner objected to having the line cut his lands, so the tracks were moved two miles further west of Sussex Vale. The railway became an economic driver that facilitated the growth of the community around the railway. The first train came to Sussex from Saint John in August 1859 upon the completion of the line between the two places. The line was completed from Sussex to Shediac on August 1, 1860. Businesses were moved to or built in Sussex to benefit from the advantage rail transportation provided. This station was built in 1913-1914. The railway line allowed farmers to send their milk to the bigger market in Saint John, thus expanding their markets. Students took advantage of the daily trains to attend college in Saint John. Thousands of soldiers from Camp Sussex left for their postings in Canada and overseas from this station, particularly during the two world wars. Given this connection, the building now houses the museum for the 8th Canadian Hussars, which has its headquarters in Sussex. The Intercolonial Railway Station is part of a National Historic Event as it is a station on the first railway connecting central Canada and Maritimes, in 1876. The Intercolonial Railway Station was designated a Heritage Railway Station under the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada in 1993.
The Intercolonial Railway Station is a good example of Craftsman railway stations that were being built across Canada during the early 20th century. The multiple hipped roofs supported by over-sized brackets are distinguishing characteristics of this style. Many interior elements have been preserved, including the spatial arrangement and ticket counters.
Source: Town of Sussex, Historic Places File #14