|Statement of Significance
|Church Avenue Fountain is a fountain with the base and trough constructed of granite with a continually running stream of water. The designation includes the fountain and the benches on either side of the fountain.
|The Church Avenue Fountain is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with the importance of mineral spring water in the industry of bottled beverages and for the importance of mineral spring water as an established community asset.
The Church Avenue Fountain is recognized for the importance of mineral spring water in the industry of bottled beverages. The discovery of mineral spring water was the foundation of the Sussex Ginger Ale Company in 1895. Originally the water was marketed as it came from the ground; however, sales increased when ginger and other flavours were added to it, and the beverage was carbonated. This led to the establishment of the Sussex Ginger Ale Company.
The Church Avenue Fountain is recognized for the importance of mineral spring water as an established community asset. In 1932, Ida M. White agreed to provide a continual stream of water to the fountain from the artesian well located further back on her property. For this, she would be paid $30.00 per year. The fountain water has a mild sulphur taste. The fountain was located nearer to the street until it was moved back from the street for safety considerations in 2005.
Town of Sussex – Historic Places Initiative, File # 10
|The character-defining elements of the Church Avenue Fountain include:
- granite trough, base and back-splash;
- continually running water;
- surface drain in front of the fountain;
- two semi-circular granite benches on either side of the fountain;
- brick pavers.